Tuesday, August 19, 2014

First Thoughts

These are some of my first thoughts from early motherhood when I was bleary eyed and exhausted at 3 a.m.

When it's 3 o'clock in the morning and you've been a mother for all of four days, it's hard not to start thinking. As I sat there, tired, bleary-eyed, and achy, I thought to myself "wow, my mother really loved me."

I'm sure every new mom comes to this realization at some point, but boy did it hit me there other night. Especially when I think about the fact that my sister was only one year old when I was born. How my parents managed two children, while my Dad was working 12 hours night shifts as a rookie cop I can't imagine. On the one hand, it reassures me that we (J and I) will be alright. No matter how hard we think this whole newborn thing might be, it could always be harder. Sure, Helen might be screaming her head off at 3 o'clock in the morning because she hates diaper changes, but she is healthy, eating well, and developmentally right where she is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment